ACBSP honors a select number of persons who have contributed in a variety of ways to the growth and development of ACBSP over a number of years by granting Emeritus Membership. This ACBSP bylaws authorize the granting of Emeritus Membership as follows:
SECTION 5. Emeritus Membership. The Board of Directors may confer emeritus membership on an individual of superior professional qualifications. Each Emeritus Member shall be entitled to serve as a voting member of any committee, taskforce, governing board, site visit team or any other similarly acting body but shall not be entitled to vote at any regional, annual or special meeting of the Council, either Commission or any regional council or any action in lieu of a meeting or otherwise convened meeting of any of the before-mentioned groups.
Over a number of years membership has been granted upon recommendation of by either of the ACBSP Board of Commissioners with approval by the Board of Directors. After a number of years of using an informal process, in February 2012, the ACBSP Board of Directors with the support of both Boards of Commissioners established a formal process. That process is described as follows:
Granting Emeritus Membership
Emeritus status may be given to an individual who has retired from an institution that was a member in good standing at the time of their retirement. Emeritus status is recognition for long term (at least ten years) service and leadership in ACBSP. Service includes leadership in one of the following positions: ACBSP Chair, Region Chair, or Board of Commissioner Chair.
Nomination for Emeritus status is initiated by one of the boards of commissioners with presentation of the name and qualifications to the Board of Directors. There shall be no more than one nomination and election each membership year. On a rare occasion more than one person may be considered and named to Emeritus status during a membership year. The naming of additional persons requires the unanimous vote of both the Board of Commissioners and the Board of Directors with the extenuating circumstances clearly stated.
At the same time, consistent with the Bylaws, the three governing boards approved a specific statement of the benefits of Emeritus Membership. The provisions are consistent with the history of benefits offered and in compliance with the bylaws. These benefits are as follows:
Benefits of Emeritus Membership
Emeritus members shall be granted the following rights and privileges:
- As provided in the bylaws, Emeritus members may be a voting member of any committee, taskforce, governing board, site visit team or any other similarly acting body within ACBSP but will not be entitled to vote at any regional, annual or special meeting of the Council, either Commission or any regional council or any action in lieu of a meeting or otherwise convened meeting of any of the before-mentioned groups.
- Emeritus members may attend any ACBSP Annual Conference without payment of any required registration fees. Emeritus members may enroll and participate in optional activities offered at the Annual Conference upon payment of the member fee. ACBSP strongly encourages all regional councils to grant attendance privileges to any regional conference or meeting on the same basis. Payment shall be required for attendance at any Seminar Series or other training programs.
- Emeritus members are invited to participate on any committee, board, taskforce, or site visit team. Regional status for consideration of such appointments shall be linked to the geographical location of the educational institution from which the Emeritus member last served and will not be linked to actual residence location during retirement.
- Emeritus members are strongly urged to use their designation and time as an Emeritus member to serve as a mentor, consultant, and actively recruit members.
- Emeritus members will be granted full benefits of membership including access to ACBSP Gateway and receipt of all ACBSP publications.
The following individuals have been granted Emeritus Member Status:
|David Alexander (2008)|| ||Frank Mastrianna (prior to 2003)|
|Bill Benoit (2008)|| ||Duncan McDougall (2011)|
|Blair Carruth (2012)|| ||Roy Moore (prior to 2003)|
|Holland (Neal) Blades (2008)|| ||J. Randall Nutter* |
|Binetta Dolan (2011)|| ||Joe Shambley (2001)|
|Bernie Ferreri (prior to 2003)|| ||Richard G. Stone (prior to 2003)|
|Von Plessner (2014)||Barbarda Dinardo (2015)|
|Carroll Gentry (2007)|| ||Janice Stoudemire (2011)|
|David K. Ho (2013)|| ||Deanna Timmons (2005)|
|Myrna Howells-DeAustria (2009)|| ||Percy Vaughn (2010)|
|Ken Jarrett (prior to 2003)|| ||Jim Vomhof* |
|Wayne King (2012)|| ||Billie Wetzler (2007)|
|Shirly Kleiner (2013)|| ||Jerry Williams (2009)
|George H. Oliver (2015)||Ron DeYoung (2014)
|John Millar (2015)|
*Represents emeritus members who are deceased