Southeastern Council - Region 3 2019 Scholarship Program
ELIGIBILITY: the following are the guidelines the applicant must meet:
- Be a legal resident of the U. S. and be enrolled in an ACBSP Region 3-member associate-degree, baccalaureate/graduate-degree institution. This includes the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda.
- Have completed at least 15 college/university semester hours (or equivalent) by the start of the spring semester of the year of application.
- Be enrolled in an academic program leading to a degree in business or its equivalent, either currently or during the first semester following the awarding of the scholarship.
- Be sponsored by one business faculty member. This faculty member shall be the contact person contacted by the organization via e-mail. This person cannot also be the Department Chair, Dean or Provost.
SELECTION CRITERIA: All material must be submitted in a single large envelope by mail.
- The applicant must submit an official college/university transcript documenting a grade point average (business subjects and cumulative) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A letter of recommendation must be submitted from the Department Chair, Dean or Provost of the school. This person cannot also serve as the faculty sponsor. Submit the administrative recommendation in a sealed envelope with the recommender's signature on the outside, across the flap.
The applicant must describe extracurricular and community activities in which he/she participates, particularly those activities related to the field of study. Any honors, awards, and commendations should be included.
The applicant must complete an essay on the following topic: "How does travel abroad enhance a business degree?" The maximum length of the essay is 1000 words. The essay will weigh substantially in the scholarship awarding process. The essay will be scored by the ACBSP Region 3 Scholarship Committee using a rubric with the following critical elements:
- Focus on topic (awareness of audience clear and maintained throughout);
- Organization (logical order, coherence, and unity);
- Quality of thought (demonstration of critical thinking that is clear, insightful, in depth, and relevant to the topic);
- Use of language (uses language that engages the reader and expresses complex ideas clearly);
- Use of sources (where applicable, uses sources effectively and documents them accurately); and
- Mechanics and usage (without errors in spelling, grammar, paragraphing, and manuscript format).
The essay must be typed in Microsoft Word formatted on letter size, 8.5 x 11 inch white paper, with 1-inch margins on each side. Times New Roman 12 pt. font must be used. A header (last name, first name, middle initial) should be included on each page in the top right corner.
- Scholarship Amounts: Two 1st Place Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 and two 2nd Place Scholarships in the amount of $500 each will be awarded annually at the discretion of the organization. There is a three-year maximum limit for awards per student.
- Distribution: Two scholarships (1st Place: $1,000 and 2nd Place: $500) will be awarded for students at associate-degree institutions. Two scholarships (1st Place: $1,000 and 2nd Place: $500) will be awarded for students at baccalaureate/graduate-degree institutions. Each recipient must be enrolled at a different school.
Weighting of Categories to Determine the Recipients
- Academic Merit/Performance: 25 points
- Achievement (Extracurricular/community activities): 25 points
- Essay: 50 points
Application Procedure and Deadline
The completed application including: the application document, the essay, a sealed official transcript, and the letter of recommendation from the Department Chair, Dean, or Provost should be mailed to Cindi Bearden, Chair of Region 3. Applications must be postmarked no later than May 3, 2019
. No electronic submission will be accepted.
Mail completed application packet to:
ACBSP Region 3 Chair
601 Broad Street
LaGrange, GA 30240